Accreditations and Recognitions
Cancer Treatment Centers of America® (CTCA), Atlanta, is accredited by several renowned professional health care organizations that supervise the quality of cancer care.
National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers
The Breast Center for Advanced Oncology at CTCA® Atlanta received a three-year/full accreditation designation by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC), a program administered by the American College of Surgeons. Accreditation is granted to centers that have voluntarily committed to provide the highest level of quality breast care and that undergo a rigorous evaluation process and review of their performance. Accredited breast centers are dedicated to enhancing the care they provide by addressing patient-centered needs and measuring the quality of the care they deliver.
Commission on Cancer
CTCA Atlanta is accredited by the Commission on Cancer (CoC), a quality program of the American College of Surgeons (ACS), with the silver level commendation—the highest level of commendation possible for a new program. The CoC recognizes cancer programs for their commitment to providing high-quality, comprehensive and integrative patient centered care.CoC accredited cancer programs are dedicated to providing the best in patient-centered care. This accreditation recognizes programs that meet the CoC standards and are dedicated to prevention, research and education.
The Joint Commission
Our Atlanta hospital is currently accredited by The Joint Commission with Full Standards Compliance. This accreditation decision is awarded to a health care organization that demonstrates satisfactory compliance with applicable Joint Commission standards in all performance areas.
In 2015, The Joint Commission recognized CTCA as a Top Performer on Key Quality Measures®, using data from 2014. The Top Performer program recognizes hospitals for improving performance on evidence-based interventions that increase the chances of healthy outcomes for patients with certain conditions. Specifically, our hospital near Atlanta was recognized for its surgical care and venous thromboembolism (VTE) performance measure sets.
- Achieving cumulative performance of 95 percent or above across all reported accountability measures
- Achieving performance of 95 percent or above on each and every reported accountability measure with at least
30 denominator cases
- Having at least one core measure set that had a composite rate of 95 percent or above, and within that measure set, achieving a performance rate of 95 percent or above on all applicable individual accountability measures
Established in 1951, The Joint Commission (formerly Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, or JCAHO) provides the “gold standard” seal of hospital approval in healthcare. Joint Commission-accredited hospitals must pass a rigorous on-site evaluation. Joint Commission surveys address the hospital’s performance in key areas, such as patient rights and patient treatment.
Breast Imaging Center of Excellence
CTCA Atlanta is designated as a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology (ACR). The ACR has recognized us for having earned accreditation in all of the College’s voluntary breast imaging accreditation programs and modules, in addition to the mandatory Mammography Accreditation Program. Our breast imaging services are now fully accredited in mammography, stereotactic breast biopsy, breast ultrasound and ultrasound-guided breast biopsy. Peer-review evaluations, conducted in each breast imaging modality by board-certified physicians and medical physicists who are experts in the field, have determined that this facility has achieved high practice standards in image quality, personnel qualifications, facility equipment, quality control procedures, and quality assurance programs.
Quality Oncology Practice Initiative
CTCA Atlanta has been recognized by the QOPI Certification Program (QCP™), an affiliate of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO), as successfully completing a three-year certification program for outpatient practices that meet nationally recognized standards for quality cancer care for breast, colorectal, non-small cell lung, non-Hodgkin lymphoma, gynecologic and prostate cancers. QCP builds on ASCO’s Quality Oncology Practice Initiative (QOPI®).
QOPI is a voluntary, self-assessment and improvement program launched by ASCO in 2006 to medical oncology practices assess the quality of the care they provide to patients. Oncologists can achieve certification by meeting the highest standards of care.
CTCA Atlanta is also accredited by the following professional health care organizations:
- American College of Radiology Radiation Oncology Accredited Facility
- American College of Radiology Mammography Accredited Facility
- American College of Radiology MRI Accredited Facility
- American College of Radiology Computed Tomography Accredited Facility
- American College of Radiology Positron Emission Tomography Accredited Facility
- American College of Radiology Breast Imaging Center of Excellence
- American College of Radiology Breast Ultrasound
- American College of Radiology Stereotactic Breast Biopsy
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services/Public Health Service/
Food and Drug Administration Certified Mammography Facility
- Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act (CLIA)
- College of American Pathologists
CTCA Atlanta has received the following awards:
- 2016, 2015 Press Ganey Guardian of Excellence AwardSM in Patient Experience
- 2016 Clinical Center of Excellence in Pain Management by the American Pain Society
- 2016 Quality Respiratory Care Recognition (QRCR)
- 2016 Castle Connolly Top Doctors, Atlanta Magazine: George Daneker (since 2011); Rabih Bechara (since 2009); Scott Shelfo (since 2013); Daniel Miller (since 2007, 2009-); Kelly Manahan (since 2013); John Geisler (since 2011); Ritwick Panicker (since 2015); Kevin Watkins (since 2013)
- 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 Top Workplaces in Metro Atlanta (in top 10), The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
- 2015 Top Performer by The Joint Commission
- 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 Who’s Who in Healthcare, Atlanta Business Chronicle: Anne Meisner
- 2017 Who’s Who in Healthcare, Atlanta Business Chronicle: George Daneker, Jr., MD
- 2015, 2014, 2013 Top Workplaces in Metro Atlanta, Atlanta Journal Constitution
- 2012 Top Doctors, US News and World Report: George Daneker, Jr., MD