External beam radiation therapy (EBRT) may be used in conjunction with surgery, chemotherapy and/or a myriad of other treatments to help you fight pancreatic cancer.
Specific advantages of EBRT for pancreatic cancer include the following:
- EBRT is an outpatient procedure.
- EBRT may be an alternative treatment to surgery for patients who are unable to undergo surgery.
- EBRT does not carry the standard risks or complications associated with major surgery for pancreatic cancer, which may include surgical bleeding, post-operative pain or the risk of stroke, heart attack or blood clot.
- EBRT may be used to decrease the risk of pancreatic recurrence after curative surgery.
- EBRT is painless.
- EBRT poses no risk of radioactivity to you or others with whom you have contact. As you undergo EBRT, you may continue normal activities with family and friends.