Radiation therapy for colorectal cancer
Your doctor may offer radiation therapy as a colorectal cancer treatment option for a number of reasons, including:
- Radiation therapy delivered before surgery may help shrink tumors so they are easier to remove.
- Radiation therapy given after surgery may help kill cancer cells that have been left behind.
- The treatment may be an option for patients who are unable to undergo surgery.
- Radiation therapy may be used as palliative treatment, to help shrink tumors that may be causing a blockage in the colon or intestines.
- Radiation therapy may be given in conjunction with chemotherapy.