Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA) at Western Regional Medical Center (Western) is accredited by several renowned professional health care organizations that supervise the quality of cancer care.
The Joint Commission
Western is currently accredited by The Joint Commission with Full Standards Compliance. This accreditation decision is awarded to a health-care organization that demonstrates satisfactory compliance with applicable Joint Commission standards in all performance areas. Western has also earned The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval® for Lung Cancer Certification. The Gold Seal of Approval is a symbol of quality that reflects an organization’s commitment to providing safe and effective patient care.
Established in 1951, The Joint Commission (formerly Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, or JCAHO) provides the “gold standard” seal of hospital approval in healthcare. Joint Commission-accredited hospitals must pass a rigorous on-site evaluation. Joint Commission surveys address the hospital’s performance in key areas, such as patient rights and patient treatment.
Breast program accreditation
Western earned a three-year full accreditation for our breast program from the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC). Western was the first breast cancer center in the state of Arizona to receive this accreditation.
Western joins the list of fewer than 500 breast cancer centers in the United States to receive this accreditation, three of which are other CTCA hospitals.
The NAPBC has established 27 standards that breast centers must meet to assure all patients with breast disease receive the highest quality of care. The categories for these standards include breast center leadership, clinical management, research, community outreach, professional education, and quality improvement.
Quality Oncology Practice Initiative
In 2014, Western was recognized as meeting the highest standards for quality cancer care by the Quality Oncology Practice Initiative (QOPI®) Certification Program, an affiliate of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO). The QOPI Certification Program provides a three-year certification for outpatient practices that meet the benchmarks for breast, colorectal, non-small cell lung, non-Hodgkin lymphoma, gynecologic and prostate cancers.
The QOPI Certification Program (QCP™) was launched in January 2010. The QCP seal designates those practices that not only scored high on the key QOPI quality measures, but meet rigorous chemotherapy safety standards established by ASCO and the Oncology Nursing Society (ONS). The QOPI Certification Program is a project of ASCO's Institute for Quality, an ASCO affiliate dedicated to innovative quality improvement programs.
American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer
Western is accredited by the Commission on Cancer (CoC), a quality program of the American College of Surgeons (ACS), with the silver level commendation—the highest level of commendation possible for a new program.
The CoC recognizes cancer programs for their commitment to providing high-quality, comprehensive and integrative patient centered care. This accreditation recognizes programs that meet the CoC standards and are dedicated to prevention, research and education. In addition to the standard accreditation, CTCA at Western achieved commendation in Clinical Trial Accrual, Cancer Registrar Education, Public Reporting of Outcomes and Nursing Care.
To achieve a CoC accreditation, cancer programs must meet eligibility requirements and comply with standards in five areas including:
- Clinical services provide state-of-the-art pretreatment evaluation, staging, treatment and clinical follow-up for cancer patients seen at the facility for primary, secondary, tertiary or end-of-life care.
- The cancer committee leads the cancer program through setting goals, monitoring activity, evaluating patient outcomes and improving care.
- Cancer conferences provide a forum for patient consultation and contribute to physician education.
- The quality improvement program is the mechanism for evaluating and improving patient outcomes.
- The cancer registry and database is the basis for monitoring the quality of care.
Our hospital has also received the following awards:
- 2010 Westmarc Best of the West – Health Care Service To Communities Award
- 2010 Westmarc Emerging Leader Award – Molly Stockley
- 2010 Service to Communities Health & Wellness Winner: CTCA
- 2010 Winner of AZ Business Magazine’s Healthcare Leadership Award for Hospital of the Year: Cancer Treatment Centers of America
- Phoenix Business Journal’s Forty Under 40, Class of 2011 – Molly Stockley
- 2011 Winner of AZ Business Magazine’s Healthcare Leadership Award for Hospital Executive
- 2011 Named one of the Valley’s Healthiest Employers; selected based on our outstanding health and wellness program and for our innovative strategies for keeping our workforce healthy
- 2011 Winner of AZ Business Magazine’s Healthcare Leadership Award for Community Outreach: Molly Stockley
- Phoenix Business Journal’s Forty Under 40, Class of 2012 – Elizabeth Maribito
- 2012 Winner of AZ Business Magazine’s Healthcare Leadership Award for Volunteer of the Year: Jean Reynolds
- 2012 Winner of AZ Business Magazine’s Healthcare Leadership Award for Hospital Administrator of the Year: Dr. Edgar Staren
- 2012 Named one of the 100 Best Companies in Arizona by BestCompaniesAZ
- American Association for Respiratory Care – Quality Respiratory Care Recognition
- 2012 Named one of the top 40 Most Admired Companies in Arizona by AZ Business Magazine
- 2012 Named a Best Place to Work in the Valley by the Phoenix Business Journal
- 2012 Recipient of the Univision Radio - Phoenix and Valle del Sol's Hispanic 40 Under 40 Award: Jody Galindo
- 2013 Recipient of the ONS Employer Recognition Award from the Oncology Nursing Society
- 2013 Named number one cancer treatment center in Arizona as part of the 2013 Ranking Arizona list in Arizona Business Magazine
- 2013 Winner of AZ Business Magazine’s Healthcare Leadership Award for Physician of the Year: Dr. Walter Quan, Jr.
- 2013 Winner of AZ Business Magazine’s Healthcare Leadership Award for Special Achievement: Executive Chef Frank Caputo
- 2013 Phoenix Business Journal's Forty Under 40, Class of 2013 - Dr. Glen Weiss
- 2013 IMPACT Award for Entrepreneurial Excellence in the Large Business Category from the Greater Phoenix Chamber of Commerce
- 2013 Named one of the top 40 Most Admired Companies in Arizona by AZ Business Magazine
- 2013 Recipient of the Univision Radio-Phoenix and Valle del Sol’s Hispanic 40 Under 40 Award: Jesus Canez
- 2013 Named one of the Best Respiratory Care Departments of 2013 by RT Magazine
- 2013 Top Gastroenterologist from the International Association of Healthcare Professionals: Dr. Jeffrey Weber
- 2014 Best of Our Valley – Best Hospital Group, AZ Foothills Magazine
- 2014 Dr. Shauna Birdsall, Dr. David Boyd, Dr. Andrew Goldstein and Dr. Carla Denham named “Top Docs” by Phoenix Magazine
- 2014 Phoenix Business Journal’s “40 Under 40, Class of 2014” – Matt McGuire
- 2014 Matt McGuire named one of the Forty Arizona Business Leaders Under Forty as part of “Generation Next” in AZ Business Magazine
- 2014 Named on the top 40 Most Admired Companies in Arizona by AZ Business Magazine
- 2015 Elizabeth Maribito named one of the Outstanding Women in Business by the Phoenix Business Journal
- 2015 Molly Stockley name one of the Most Influential Women in Arizona Business by AZ Business Magazine
- 2015 Dr. Shauna Birdsall named “Top Docs” by Phoenix Magazine
- 2015 Winner of AZ Business Magazine’s Healthcare Leadership Award for Hospital of the Year
- 2015 Matt McGuire named a 2016 AZ Business Leader in the category of Healthcare: Cancer Treatment
- 2015 Dr. Glen Weiss named a 2016 AZ Business Leader in the category of Healthcare: Medical Research
- 2016 Best of Our Valley – Best Hospital Group, AZ Foothills Magazine
- 2016 Molly Stockley featured in Women Who Move the Valley sponsored by Arizona Foothills Magazine
- 2016 Molly Stockley named as a recipient of the Amazing Women Amazing Awards
- 2016 Molly Stockley named as one of the 2016 Phoenix Business Journal Outstanding Women in Business
- 2016 Winner of AZ Business Magazine’s Healthcare Leadership Award for Researcher of the Year: Dr. Glen Weiss
- 2016 Dr. Shauna Birdsall and Dr. Noah Horowitz named “Top Docs” by Phoenix Magazine.
Western is also accredited by the following professional healthcare organizations:
- College of American Pathologists (CAP) Laboratory Accreditation Program Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act (CLIA)
- American College of Radiology Mammography Accredited Facility
- American College of Radiology Computed Tomography Accredited Facility
- American College of Radiology Nuclear Medicine Accredited Facility
- American College of Radiology Positron Emission Tomography Accredited Facility
- American College of Radiology Magnetic Resonance Imaging Accredited Facility
- American College of Radiology Radiation Oncology Accredited Facility
- Quality Respiratory Care Institution from the American Association for Respiratory Care