We use the Nd: YAG laser to shrink or destroy tumors and/or to relieve symptoms in difficult-to-reach areas of the body, such as the lungs, esophagus or colon.
The Nd: YAG (neodymium: yttrium-aluminum-garnet) laser uses a high power laser beam that literally burns, or “vaporizes,” the tumor. The cancer is evaporated, and the vapor is then suctioned out through an endoscope or bronchoscope.
The Nd: YAG laser is often used to treat large obstructive masses that can’t be removed surgically, but are causing symptoms, such as bleeding or obstruction. For example, it may be used to remove an obstruction in the esophageal tract to relieve swallowing difficulties, or in the airways to improve breathing.
Advantages of the Nd: YAG Laser
- It allows us to literally vaporize and coagulate a tumor
- It can help to reduce the risk of infection at the surgical site
- Healing time is often shorter than with traditional surgical procedures
- The laser is particularly good for its ability to quickly clot blood
- It may be an option for patients who cannot have surgery
Learn more about lung cancer treatments