Relieving cancer symptoms with LLEL therapy
Our cancer doctors use low level energy laser (LLEL) therapy to treat various cancer-related symptoms and conditions, so you can better tolerate your cancer treatments and maintain your quality of life.
Low level energy laser therapy, also known as “cold” laser therapy, explores the benefits of specific wavelengths of light on healing.
LLEL therapy may help to heal damaged tissues and relieve the following cancer-related symptoms:
- Pain (e.g., from radiation burns, nerve damage)
- Peripheral neuropathy (numbness/tingling in the hands and feet)
- Mucositis (mouth sores)
- Wound healing (e.g. after surgery)
How does LLEL therapy work?
Our cancer doctors apply the low level energy laser directly onto the skin on well-defined acupuncture points, “tender” areas of the body, or other areas directly affected by treatment.
The light energy promotes a photochemical reaction which increases cellular metabolism. This, in turn, expedites cell repair and stimulates the immune, lymphatic, nervous and circulatory systems.
Depending on your individual diagnose and preferences, you may receive 1-8 laser therapy treatments.
What are the potential benefits of LLEL therapy?
Cancer and cancer treatments, such as surgery, chemotherapy and radiation therapy, can damage tissues and nerves and cause unwanted side effects.
Low level energy laser therapy may help provide long-lasting relief of acute and chronic symptoms, including pain, inflammation, stiffness and swelling. It can also promote muscle endurance, making it easier for you to tolerate exercise.
In addition, LLEL therapy may help relieve co-existing conditions like carpal tunnel syndrome, pain in the neck, low back and knee, headaches, arthritis, and insomnia.
The following are additional potential advantages of LLEL therapy:
- At a wavelength of 830 nm, the laser has a penetration depth of 5 cm and 3 cm width, and does not damage normal tissue.
- LLEL therapy may help to reduce your need for pain medications, thereby reducing related side effects like constipation or unwanted sedation.
- LLEL therapy can help to reduce symptoms for conditions that are difficult to treat with conventional means.
- This therapy does not interact with other oncology treatments or medications.
- There are virtually no side effects of cold laser treatment.
Where is LLEL therapy being offered?
Low level energy laser therapy is currently being offered at CTCA at Southwestern Regional Medical Center within the Naturopathic Medicine Department, under the direction of Katherine Anderson, N.D., and by Drs. Altshuler, River, and Axness.