Stomach Cancer Naturopathic Medicine
Learn More About Naturopathic Medicine: Chat with Us | Email Us
Video: Naturopathic Treatment for Digestive Cancer PatientsNaturopathic Treatment for Digestive Cancer Patients
Naturopathic Treatment for Digestive Cancer Patients
In our hospitals, naturopathic oncology providers work with oncologists and nutritionists to help cancer patients prevent and offset treatment side effects.
Naturopathic Medicine for Stomach Cancer Patients
Our experienced team of naturopathic clinicians at Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA) helps stomach cancer patients manage side effects associated with treatment. These naturopathic oncology providers recommend therapies such as homeopathic medicines, vitamins, minerals, amino acids and herbs. The recommended natural therapies are individualized to best suit each patient’s needs. They are safe to use in conjunction with the conventional stomach cancer treatments patients are receiving.
Build a Naturopathic Treatment Plan Tailored to Your Care
As a patient at a CTCA hospital, you can work with a naturopathic oncology provider to create a personalized naturopathic treatment plan. You’ll meet with your naturopathic oncology provider to receive a detailed evaluation and learn about the role naturopathic medicine can play in your treatment. He or she will talk with you about natural therapies available to help prevent or minimize side effects of stomach cancer surgery, chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
Throughout your treatment at CTCA, you can work with your naturopathic oncology provider to further tailor your naturopathic treatment plan to meet your needs and continue to help you experience a better quality of life.
How Can Naturopathic Medicine Help You During Stomach Cancer Treatment?
Often times people who are undergoing treatment for stomach cancer have what is known as dysphagia (i.e., difficulty swallowing). Nausea and pain are also side effects stomach cancer patients commonly face.
- Dysphagia – Your naturopathic oncology provider can recommend supplements you can take in forms that are easy to swallow and manage, such as liquids, powders and pellets that dissolve under the tongue. He or she can also suggest soft, palatable foods you can mix your supplements in, such as apple sauce, yogurt, pudding, and protein shakes. This will help you meet your nutritional needs and receive essential vitamins and minerals. Additionally, your naturopathic oncology provider can suggest homeopathic remedies that can be helpful if you are having a hard time swallowing.
- Nausea – There are a number of naturopathic treatments your clinician can recommend to offset nausea. Homeopathic and herbal supplements, including ginger products (e.g., capsules, candy, tea) can be helpful. If you are not able to take food or drink by mouth, your naturopathic oncology provider may prescribe anti-nausea pellets that dissolve under the tongue. Acupuncture and acupressure are also natural remedies used to treat nausea. You can receive these treatments at our hospitals.
- Pain – Your naturopathic oncology provider may suggest home hydrotherapy treatments (which involve applying hot and cold towels) to help decrease inflammation and redirect blood flow, helping to relieve pain. Sometimes a castor oil pack treatment may be recommended. The packs (i.e., cloth that’s been saturated in castor oil) are typically heated and applied to the body. The castor oil absorbs through the skin, helping to decrease inflammation and alleviate some pain symptoms. Homeopathics may be recommended as well.
Naturopathic treatment pre- & post-stomach cancer surgery
If you undergo surgery for stomach cancer, your clinician will offer pre-surgical and post-surgical naturopathic treatment recommendations. The natural therapies prescribed can help you prepare for surgery and promote wound healing. In addition, the therapies may help decrease pain, bleeding and bruising as you recover from the surgery.
Helping you cope with stomach cancer chemotherapy
If chemotherapy is part of your stomach cancer treatment plan, your naturopathic oncology provider can suggest a number of natural therapies aimed at preventing or addressing side effects such as the following:
- Mouth Sores – A mouth rinse with L-glutamine powder mixed in water and/or a baking soda/sea salt can be used to help prevent or relieve mouth sores.
- Diarrhea – Depending on the source of the diarrhea, there are a variety of natural therapies that may be recommended, including charcoal capsules, homeopathic remedies and L-glutamine.
- Hand-foot Syndrome – B vitamins are commonly used to deal with this side effect. Topical lotions and creams may also be recommended to help prevent or treat symptoms of hand-foot syndrome.
- Numbness and Tingling of the Extremities – B vitamins and L-glutamine may also aid in preventing neuropathy, or damage to the nervous system. If neuropathy develops, additional natural therapies may be suggested.
Offsetting side effects of stomach cancer radiation therapy
Side effects of radiation treatment for stomach cancer include nausea and inflammation to the part of the body where the radiation has been applied. If you receive radiation treatment, your naturopathic oncology provider can help you manage these side effects with:
- Anti-inflammatory herbs
- Ginger products
- Acupressure products
Naturopathic Recommendations Aimed at Improving Your Health
Many people fighting stomach cancer face health challenges with obesity, smoking and high use of alcohol. To help you live a healthier lifestyle during and after cancer treatment, your naturopathic oncology provider can:
- Offer suggestions on how to make better dietary choices (e.g., increasing the amount of fruits and vegetables you eat, improving the quality of food you eat)
- Recommend homeopathics or nutritional support agents that aid in smoking cessation
- Provide a referral for smoking or alcohol cessation counseling
Next Topic: Mind-Body Medicine for Stomach Cancer