Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA) at Southwestern Regional Medical Center (Southwestern) is accredited by several renowned professional healthcare organizations that supervise the quality of cancer care.
The Joint Commission
Southwestern is currently accredited by The Joint Commission with Full Standards Compliance. This accreditation decision is awarded to a healthcare organization that demonstrates satisfactory compliance with applicable Joint Commission standards in all performance areas.
Established in 1951, The Joint Commission (formerly Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, or JCAHO) provides the “gold standard” seal of hospital approval in healthcare. Joint Commission-accredited hospitals must pass a rigorous on-site evaluation. Joint Commission surveys address the hospital’s performance in key areas, such as patient rights and patient treatment.
Breast program accreditation
Southwestern was awarded a three-year full accreditation for our breast program from the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC).
The NAPBC has established 27 standards that breast centers must meet to assure all patients with breast disease receive the highest quality of care.
The 27 standards include breast center leadership, clinical management, research, community outreach, professional education, and quality improvement.
American College of Radiology imaging accreditation
Southwestern's Imaging Department has earned full accreditation by the American College of Radiology in all Imaging modalities, including MRI, CT, Nuclear Medicine, PET/CT, Mammogram, and Ultrasound.
The ACR awards accreditation to facilities that have achieved a high practice standard, which requires that the image quality and procedure evaluations are conducted by board-certified radiologists and medical physicists who are experts in the field.
The ACR also evaluates personnel qualifications, adequacy of facility equipment, quality control procedures, and quality assurance programs to ensure that the recipient of the accreditation meets the highest level of standards for imaging quality and safety.
Southwestern is also accredited by the following professional healthcare organizations:
- The Joint Commission
- Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act (CLIA)
- American Association of Blood Banks
- College of American Pathologists (CAP)
- National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC)
- American College of Radiology’s CT Accreditation
- American College of Radiology's Mammography Accreditation
- American College of Radiology’s MRI Accreditation
- American College of Radiology's Nuclear Medicine Accreditation
- American College of Radiology’s PET/CT Accreditation
- American College of Radiology’s Radiation Oncology Accreditation
- American College of Radiology's Ultrasound Accreditation
- The American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer
- American Diabetes Association (ADA) Diabetes Self-Management Education Program (Southwestern is the first cancer hospital in the country to achieve this accreditation)
Southwestern has received the following awards:
- 2012, 2011 and 2007 "Best Places to Work in Oklahoma"
- 2004, 2007 and 2010 Outstanding Achievement Award, Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons
- 2014 and 2012 Oklahoma Certified Healthy Business Award
- 2010 Sunquest Annual Excellence Award for Laboratory Solution Success
- 2008 Friend of ODA Award from the Oklahoma Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
2014, 2013, 2012, 2011 and 2007 "Best Places to Work in Oklahoma"
Southwestern placed in the top 10 for the "Best Places to Work in Oklahoma 2014." This distinction, by Best Companies Group (BCG), identifies and recognizes companies who are excelling in workplace excellence. Southwestern was the top-ranked healthcare institution among this year’s winners.
Additionally, Southwestern placed fourth in 2013, second in 2012 and third in the 2011 "Best Places to Work in Oklahoma," and was nominated as one of the 2007 "Best Places to Work in Oklahoma." The hospital ranked eighth in the state in the large-sized companies category (250 employees or more).
2013, 2010, 2007 and 2004 CoC Outstanding Achievement Award
Southwestern has received the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer (CoC) Outstanding Achievement Award (OAA) for four consecutive survey years: 2004, 2007, 2010 and 2013.
Established in 2004, the CoC Outstanding Achievement Award was designed to recognize cancer programs that strive for excellence in providing quality care to cancer patients. In 2004, 2010 and 2013, CTCA at Southwestern Regional Medical Center was the only cancer hospital in Oklahoma receive this award.
2015, 2014 and 2012 Oklahoma Certified Healthy Business Award
In 2014 and 2012, Southwestern was awarded the Oklahoma Certified Healthy Business Award by the Oklahoma State Department of Health.
The Oklahoma Certified Healthy Business Program recognizes businesses that make a positive impact on employee health by providing programs such as health screenings, opportunities for physical activities, health and nutrition education, as well as community involvement in health and wellness.
Recognitions, memberships and certifications
Southwestern has earned the following recognitions/memberships:
- Association of Community Cancer Centers
- Department of Environmental Quality
- Quality Respiratory Care Recognition presented by the American Association for Respiratory Care
In 2014, Southwestern was recognized by the Quality Oncology Practice Initiative (QOPI®) Certification Program, an affiliate of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO). The QOPI Certification Program provides a three-year certification for outpatient hematology-oncology practices that meet the highest standards for quality of cancer care.
To become certified, practices have to submit to an evaluation of their entire practice and documentation standards, which is then verified through onsite inspection. This certification for outpatient oncology practices is the first program of its kind for oncology in the United States.