The Interventional Radiology Department at Cancer Treatment Centers of America® (CTCA) performs biopsies, treats tumors and manages other symptoms, all with fewer side effects and complications than traditional surgery. We use minimally invasive procedures to diagnose and treat cancer, as well as to alleviate a variety of symptoms that can occur during cancer treatment.
Our priority is to treat you with the most effective, least invasive treatments available for your cancer type. Common procedures include:
- Tumor ablation procedures: These minimally invasive treatments destroy tissue using extreme temperatures. Ablation may be used to treat tumors or alleviate symptoms. Examples of ablation procedures we perform are radiofrequency ablation and microwave ablation.
- Vascular work: Our team uses minimally invasive techniques to place stents, stop bleeding and block the flow of blood to or from tumor tissue to support chemotherapy and radiation treatment response.
- Drainage catheters: Fluid retention is a common side effect of some types of cancer. Catheters are used to drain excess fluid and relieve uncomfortable symptoms.
- Port and PICC line placement: Many patients are given temporary ports and PICC lines to minimize the number of needle pricks during chemotherapy treatment or diagnostic blood work.
- Bone and joint pain management: A variety of bone and joint injections, nerve blocks and fracture management techniques provide relief from pain.
Most procedures are done on an outpatient basis or during a short hospital stay.
Explore the interventional radiology procedures CTCA offers
Integrative cancer care
The interventional radiology team works closely with your entire care team. Your personal team of doctors, cancer specialists and integrative oncology services clinicians share information every step of the way so you are empowered and supported. We’ll work closely with your oncologist to make your experience as seamless as possible from the start.
You can choose to receive integrative oncology services, like nutrition, naturopathic medicine and mind-body medicine, before, during or after an interventional radiology procedure. Many patients use these treatments to strengthen their immune system, fight side effects and enjoy a better quality of life during cancer treatment.
All care is delivered seamlessly, so your time, energy or well-being is not wasted. At our hospital, there are no long waits for test results or treatments, no appointment hassles, and nothing is done without your understanding.