Immunotherapy is a promising treatment for prostate cancer, including advanced or recurrent forms of the disease. Your care team at Cancer Treatment Centers of America® (CTCA) uses a variety of immune-based strategies to eliminate a prostate cancer tumor and prevent its recurrence.
This treatment method may be used alone or in conjunction with other treatments, such as radiation therapy and hormone therapy.
Provenge® is an FDA-approved immunotherapy treatment for prostate cancer that harnesses the power of the patient’s own immune system to identify and target prostate cancer cells. This is also known as autologous cellular immunotherapy. The immune system is made up of immune cells that are found in your own blood. These cells work as the body's natural defense against all types of illness, including prostate cancer.
Since Provenge is an immunotherapy treatment that helps the immune system fight disease, each dose is made specifically for each patient. The personalized dose of Provenge consists of the patient’s own immune cells that have been trained to seek and attack prostate cancer cells. By stimulating the natural ability of immune cells already in the blood, Provenge may improve a patient's prognosis.
What types of prostate cancer does Provenge immunotherapy treat?
- Asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic metastatic castrate resistant (hormone refractory) prostate cancer
- Patients cannot have moderate to severe prostate cancer pain (or be on narcotics for cancer-related pain)
- Metastases must be limited to bone or soft tissue only (no lung, liver or brain metastases)
- Patients cannot have had chemotherapy in the previous three months
- The patient must be able to perform tasks necessary for daily living
Provenge immunotherapy treatment typically takes six weeks, and is administered in three infusions every two weeks.