Mind-Body Medicine: Support Groups & Therapeutic Services
Learn More About Support Groups at Midwestern: Chat with Us | Email Us
Participate in Mind-Body Activities and Support Groups
Along with the counseling sessions you and your loved ones can take part in at CTCA at Midwestern Regional Medical Center (Midwestern), the mind-body team offers a variety of support groups and other therapeutic services throughout the week.
Patients and caregivers are invited to attend support groups and to participate at whatever level is comfortable to them, whether just listening or actively sharing their thoughts, feelings and experiences with other attendees living with cancer. There are some support groups aimed at specific groups of people—for example, caregivers, men, and those preparing to return home after a long stay at the hospital—while others are open to everyone.
Some of the services offered by the mind-body team include:
- Introductory Qigong (a Chinese healing practice that incorporates deep breathing, gentle physical movement and mental intention)
- Laughter Club (a group that uses fun, simple laughter exercises to promote stress reduction and well-being)
- Reiki (gentle energy rebalancing to promote relaxation and stress reduction)
- Relaxing with Mindful Beading (working with beads in a quiet, relaxing atmosphere to create something meaningful to take with you)
- Animal-assisted Therapy (Tori, our certified therapy dog, offers loyal canine companionship to patients who meet specified health criteria)
The mind-body team also hosts occasional special events that offer patients and caregivers the opportunity to experience the benefits of healing sound and expressive arts. One program features an interactive drumming circle, in which patients express themselves through the sounds of various percussion instruments. Also, Midwestern has displayed the artwork of cancer patients from around the world as part of Lilly Oncology on Canvas™, a traveling art exhibit.
CTCA: Fighting Cancer and Helping You to Experience Emotional Well-Being
For more information on mind-body medicine and every facet of the integrated cancer care we provide at Midwestern, call 1-1-800-615-3055. Or, click to chat now with one of our information specialists.