Liver Cancer Radiation Therapy & Treatment
Learn More About Radiation Therapy for Liver Cancer: Chat with Us | Email Us
Radiation Therapy for Liver Cancer
At Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA), we use radiation therapy to kill cancer cells and shrink tumors in the liver, and to provide relief from some cancer-related symptoms such as pain. Radiation may come from a machine outside the body (external beam radiation therapy), or it may come from radioactive material placed in the body near cancer cells (internal radiation therapy).
Our radiation oncologists use new and innovative liver cancer radiation techniques to accurately deliver high radiation doses to cancer cells, while minimizing damage to healthy surrounding liver tissue.
At CTCA, some of the advanced radiation techniques for liver cancer include:
- External Beam Radiation Therapy (EBRT): High doses of radiation are delivered to the cancerous cells inside the liver from outside the body, using a variety of machine-based technologies.
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT): This type of radiation therapy for liver cancer uses a powerful, advanced computer program to deliver a precise dose of radiation directly to the tumor.
- CyberKnife® VSI™ Robotic Radiosurgery: With CyberKnife, we can follow and track liver tumor movement in real-time and treat liver tumors that move with respiration with exceptionally precise, high doses of radiation in about five days.
- TomoTherapy® HI-ART: An advanced form of IMRT that delivers precise and powerful doses of radiation therapy from 360-degrees, and may be a treatment option for patients who have reached their maximum tolerance dose of traditional radiation.
- TheraSphere®: A type of internal radiation therapy for liver cancer patients that involves delivering radiation directly to tumors using tiny glass beads called microspheres.
Radiation therapy may be used alone for liver cancer treatment, or it may be combined with surgery or chemotherapy. Based on diagnostic tests and your cancer profile, we will work with you to determine which treatment or combination of treatments is appropriate for you.
Next Topic: External Beam Radiation Therapy for Liver Cancer