Leukemia Mind-Body Medicine, Counseling & Support Groups
Learn More About Mind-Body Medicine for Leukemia: Chat with Us | Email Us
Mind-Body Medicine for Leukemia
Many leukemia patients and their families face emotional and psychological stresses. You may feel anxious, depressed, angry, scared or a range of other emotions. These stresses can impact your healing.
The Mind-Body Medicine Program at Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA) explores the powerful connection between the mind and the body, between stress and illness. Our mind-body therapists are here to help you and your loved ones cope with the disease and support you throughout treatment.
Leukemia Counseling & Support Groups
During your first visit to CTCA, you will have the option to meet with a licensed mind-body therapist. He or she will listen to your concerns and explain how mind-body medicine, such as our leukemia support groups and counseling, can fit into the healing process.
The following mind-body therapies are available to patients, caregivers and other loved ones:
- Individual, Couples and Family Counseling: Counseling can help you improve coping skills, regulate mood, and overcome anxiety and depression.
- Support Groups: This is an opportunity for patients and their loved ones to meet as a group to share their experiences and talk about their concerns.
- Meditation: This relaxation method uses concentration or reflection to relax the body and quiet the mind to alleviate pain, stress, anxiety and other symptoms.
- Stress Management: This includes techniques like charting to help you identify stressful events and your reactions to them, and gain needed support.
- Guided Imagery Training: This relaxation technique teaches you to use positive mental images to create a deep sense of comfort and relaxation.
- Deep Breathing Exercises: Deep breathing can help you relax and reduce pain, anxiety and other symptoms.
- Laughter Therapy: The use of humor can stimulate the circulatory system, immune system and other systems in the body to ease pain, reduce stress and improve quality of life.
- Reiki Therapy: This form of mind-body medicine involves restoring and balancing energy to help reduce stress, anxiety and fatigue, and induce feelings of well-being.
- Qigong: This therapy involves a Chinese system of meditation, breathing and movement to enhance the natural flow of vital energy in the body to reduce pain and anxiety.
A Team Approach
Throughout your leukemia treatment, your mind-body therapist will work closely with the other members of your CTCA care team to support you. Everyone works together to find solutions that meet your individual needs. After your leukemia treatment is complete and you return home, our mind-body medicine team can connect you with qualified practitioners, leukemia support groups and counseling opportunities in your area.
Next Topic: Oncology Rehabilitation for Leukemia