Hodgkin Lymphoma Pain Management
Learn More About Hodgkin Lymphoma Pain Management: Chat with Us | Email Us
Getting Pain Under Control During Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment
Being able to get pain under control during Hodgkin lymphoma treatment is important to the healing process. Unrelieved pain interferes with everything in your life, including your appetite, energy level and sleep.
The pain management team at Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA) will help control your Hodgkin lymphoma-related pain so you can use your energy to fight the disease.
Your Individualized Pain Management Plan
Pain associated with Hodgkin lymphoma is generally related to the tumor size and location. Since the disease can develop in many parts of the body, such as the neck, underarms and groin, pain varies for each individual.
Upon your arrival at CTCA, you’ll meet with a pain management practitioner to assess your pain. Based on this assessment, you’ll receive an individualized plan that includes pain control methods best suited to you.
Throughout your Hodgkin lymphoma treatment, your pain management practitioner will meet with you regularly to reassess your pain.
Pain Control Methods for Hodgkin Lymphoma
Your pain management practitioner may use any of the following to control Hodgkin lymphoma-related pain:
- Medications (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, anti-convulsants, narcotics)
- Nerve blocks
- Pain patches or pumps
- Steroid injections
Because of the complex nature of cancer-related pain, successful pain management for Hodgkin lymphoma usually involves a combination of techniques.
Also, we want you to be able to continue daily activities as normally as possible throughout your Hodgkin lymphoma treatment. Your pain management practitioner will adjust your medications to seek a balance between pain relief and quality of life.
Your Care Team Collaborates to Control Your Pain
The CTCA pain management team is fully integrated with the other disciplines offered at the hospital. In addition to the pain control methods mentioned above, your personalized Hodgkin lymphoma pain management plan may include one or more supportive therapies:
- Naturopathic medicine – uses natural therapies, including amino acids, fish oil, herbs and vitamin complexes to repair nerve damage and reduce neuropathic pain.
- Acupuncture – uses thin needles applied to specific areas of the body (acupoints) to stimulate energy flow and relieve pain.
- Oncology rehabilitation – uses physical and occupational therapies and massage to increase strength, improve mobility and reduce pain.
- Mind-body medicine – uses counseling, relaxation techniques, deep breathing, and stress management to alleviate symptoms contributing to pain, such as tension, depression or anxiety.
Next Topic: Hodgkin Lymphoma Mind-Body Medicine