Hodgkin Lymphoma Naturopathic Medicine
Learn More About Hodgkin Lymphoma Naturopathic Medicine: Chat with Us | Email Us
How Naturopathic Medicine Can Support You During Treatment
Every Hodgkin lymphoma patient who comes to Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA) has the opportunity to meet with a naturopathic clinician. Naturopaths act as consultants to your oncologists, and can support you on many levels during your Hodgkin lymphoma treatment.
For instance, Hodgkin lymphoma and its treatments can affect the heart, kidneys, liver, lungs, bladder, and nervous system in different ways, causing a variety of symptoms. Naturopathic medicine can help strengthen your immune system, reduce treatment- related side effects and improve your overall quality of life.
You Individualized Naturopathic Plan
When you arrive at CTCA, your naturopath will review your medical history and diagnostic tests, including imaging and laboratory tests. Then together, with you and your oncologists, we’ll develop an individualized plan that supports your conventional Hodgkin lymphoma treatments.
Your plan may include any of the following natural therapies:
- Nutritional supplements (e.g., vitamins)
Botanical medicine (e.g., herbs)
- Homeopathic medicines
- Auricular acupressure
- Detoxification therapies
- Essential oils (e.g., aromatherapy inhalers or topical products)
Managing Side Effects with Naturopathic Medicine
Throughout your Hodgkin lymphoma treatment, your naturopath will work closely with the other members of your CTCA care team to combat various treatment-related side effects with naturopathic therapies:
- Low blood counts (cytopenia): Nutritional products, homeopathics, and sometimes acupuncture may help to raise blood counts.
- Mouth sores (mucositis): Nutritional supplements and mouth rinses may help to improve the healing mechanisms of the mouth.
- Fatigue: A variety of vitamin and nutrient combinations, herbs, and homeopathic remedies may help to combat fatigue.
- Nausea: Certain herbs (e.g., ginger), acupuncture, acupressure, wrist bands, homeopathics, and aromatherapy may help to ease nausea.
- Diarrhea: Certain amino acids, nutritional supplements, homeopathic remedies, and herbs may help to minimize diarrhea.
- Constipation: Fiber supplements, herbal laxatives, essential fatty acids, stool softeners, hydrotherapy, or homeopathy may help to relieve constipation.
- Nerve damage (neuropathy): Some amino acids, essential fatty acids, herbs, or vitamin complexes can help to protect the nervous system.
- Skin Rash: Various topical creams, ointments and other remedies may help to relieve skin irritation.
- Heart damage (cardiotoxicity): Certain antioxidants, herbal medicines, or amino acids can help to support the heart muscle.
Throughout your Hodgkin lymphoma treatment, your naturopath will collaborate with your oncologists to monitor your supplement and vitamin intake and ensure safety with potential drug-herb and drug-nutrient interactions.
Once you return home, the naturopathic oncology team will continue to be available by phone to address underlying health issues related to your cancer treatment.
Next Topic: Hodgkin Lymphoma Pain Management