Learn More About Cancer Treatment Centers of America: Chat with Us | Email Us
Lung Cancer - Cancerous growth that begins in tissues of the lung (one of two organs in the chest that deliver oxygen to the bloodstream). Most commonly, lung cancer comes from the cells lining the bronchi (air passages). Lung cancers are classified according to how different lung cancer cells appear and behave in the body. A bronchoscopy procedure is often used to examine the inside of the trachea, bronchi, and lungs to detect cancer.
The two main types of lung cancer are non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC, which accounts for about 80 percent of lung cancers) and small cell lung cancer (SCLC, which is the more aggressive type and accounts for the remaining 20 percent). Lung cancer is the second most diagnosed cancer in men and women (after prostate and breast cancer). The disease has been largely linked to tobacco use and exposure to radioactive materials.
Next: Lung Cancer Symptoms
Back to the Cancer Glossary