Abbas Abbas, MD
Eastern Regional Medical Center
- Bachelor of Science in Medicine and Surgery (MD) – Ains-Shams University, School of Medicine, Cairo, Egypt
Internship / Residency
- General Surgery Internship – Pinnacle Health System, Harrisburg, PA
- General Surgery Residency – Pennsylvania Hospital, University of Pennsylvania Health System, Philadelphia, PA
- Master of Science in Surgery – Ains-Shams University, School of Medicine, Cairo, Egypt
- Board Certified - American Board of Surgery
- Board Certified - American Board of Thoracic Surgery
- Cardiothoracic Surgery Fellowship – Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education, Rochester, MN
Practicing Since: 1988
Dr. Abbas E. Abbas is a thoracic surgeon at CTCA at Eastern Regional Medical Center.
In addition to his role at CTCA, Dr. Abbas has been a thoracic surgeon at Temple University School of Medicine since October 2012, where he also serves as Chief of the Division of Thoracic Surgery and Director of Thoracic and Foregut Surgery.
Previously, Dr. Abbas spent five years as a thoracic surgeon at The Ochsner Clinic Foundation Medical Center in New Orleans, LA. Prior to then, he spent four years as a thoracic surgeon at the Ohio State University Medical Center and the James Cancer Hospital, in Columbus, OH. In both of these former positions, he taught courses in thoracic surgery to surgery residents.
Dr. Abbas earned a medical degree in 1988 from the School of Medicine at Ains-Shams University in Cairo, Egypt, where he also earned a Master of Science in Surgery degree.
In 1994, Dr. Abbas moved to the United States. He completed a two-year internship at Pinnacle Health System in Harrisburg, PA, followed by a four-year residency in general surgery at Pennsylvania Hospital, University of Pennsylvania Health System, and finally a three-year fellowship in cardiothoracic surgery at Mayo School of Graduate Education in Rochester, MN.
Dr. Abbas is board certified by the American Board of Surgery and the American Board of Thoracic Surgery. He is a member of The Society of Thoracic Surgery, the Eastern Cooperative Cancer Group and the International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation.