We recognize how important maintaining a healthy, well-balanced diet is to the healing process. We also understand that your appetite and tastes may change during cancer treatment.
The culinary team at Eastern Regional Medical Center (Eastern) provides healthful, specially prepared meals to suit your culinary desires and selective tastes.
Our culinary team
Our culinary team consists of 32 culinary professionals, including three sous chefs and 10 front-line cooks. The team works closely with our Nutrition and Metabolic Support Department. Together, both teams strive to understand your needs and ensure that the food you eat complements your cancer treatment.
Our culinary team prepares every meal from scratch, using the finest ingredients, while avoiding preservatives and chemicals.
You won’t find typical hospital food at Eastern. With each meal, you will encounter a wide variety of fresh, whole food choices. This includes local free-range chicken, a variety of fish and organic beef, along with whole grains, and seasonal fruits and vegetables.
We also offer homemade soup choices daily, a fresh salad bar, a fresh juice bar and a variety of light pastries, all made in-house daily.
Some of the unique cuisine stations available in our dining room include the following:
- Soothing selections: Our patients tell us sometimes their treatments cause them to be more sensitive to spices. The "Comfort Zone" offers the chef’s daily selections without seasoning. Since no seasoning is added to the dishes, you can add your own spices to suit your tastes. This can make a big difference if you are having taste changes or problems with eating.
- Vegan valley: We offer daily vegetarian options for patients who are interested in eating more of a plant-based diet. The chef’s daily selections change, although the grilled veggie burger is available every day.
- Gluten free: Gluten is a protein found in wheat, rye and barley. If you are more sensitive to it than others, gluten can cause indigestion, pain and/or diarrhea. We offer gluten-free meal options daily.
A sample lunch menu includes:
- Poached stuffed flounder with lemon sauce, red rice and fresh basil
- Chicken, sweet potato and leek stew
- Braised beef short ribs with garlic mashed potatoes
- Grilled vegetable lasagna with mushroom sauce
- Arugula salad
- Roasted vegetable creation and whole grain medley
We understand your tastes and food desires may change frequently from day to day. We’ll go out of our way to try to accommodate your special requests and needs.
Your dietitian will learn what you eat at home in order to incorporate those foods into your meals at the hospital. Prior to your return visit to the hospital, you can email your dietitian with any special requests.