Learn More About Radiation Therapies at CTCA: Chat with Us | Email Us
Video: The Varian Trilogyâ„¢ SystemThe Varian Trilogyâ„¢ System
Our radiation oncologists use this versatile tool to monitor tumor motion while precisely focusing radiation on the tumor, helping to reduce exposure to nearby healthy tissue. Listen to Dr. Bernard Eden discuss Varian’s Trilogy™.
One of the most innovative radiation therapy tools available today, Varian's Trilogy™ system combines new image-guidance technology with one of the most powerful and precise radiation beam available. As a result, Trilogy shortens cancer treatment times and targets tumors more precisely.
Tumor tissues can move, both between radiation treatments and during a treatment, because of breathing and other involuntary movement. Trilogy's Real-time Position Management™ (RPM) tracks a tumor's location during treatment and synchronizes radiation therapy with the moving target. This versatile technology's real-time imaging provides us with up-to-the-second data and enables us to monitor tumor motion throughout treatment. This means we can deliver optimal doses of radiation with increased accuracy and avoid harm to nearby healthy tissues.
Furthermore, the speed at which Trilogy administers radiation treatment is significantly faster than some other radiation therapy systems. Trilogy's RapidArc® radiotherapy technology shortens treatment times to one-half to one-eighth that of conventional treatments—quickly, efficiently and safely. In a single rotation, the machine revolves around the patient, delivering a sculpted beam of radiation to the tumor.
Trilogy also offers multi-treatment functionality in a single machine. Our radiation oncologists use a variety of techniques to deliver treatment that meets each patient's individual needs, including: Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT), Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT), 3D Conformal Radiation, Fractionated Stereotactic Radiation Therapy, and Stereotactic Radiosurgery—all from one machine.
Dynamic Targeting Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)
Trilogy's dynamic targeting IGRT gives us the ability to deliver precise radiation treatment to tumors that shift as a result of movement of the lungs during breathing, and movement of the bladder and bowels. A variety of imaging modalities—2D radiographic, fluoroscopic or 3D Cone beam CT imaging—track tumor movement, both before and during radiation treatments. This allows our radiation oncologists to make technical adjustments when a tumor moves outside of the planned treatment range. As a result, the radiation treatment is targeted to the tumor as much as possible, helping to avoid healthy tissue and reduce common radiation side effects.
Trilogy's dynamic targeting IGRT improves treatment precision for all approaches to radiation therapy, including Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) and stereotactic approaches.
SmartBeam™ Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
Trilogy's SmartBeam IMRT optimizes all forms of IMRT delivery, by “painting” the radiation dose to a tumor with pinpoint precision, while minimizing exposure to nearby healthy tissue. This allows our radiation oncologists to place radiation directly into, or as close as possible to, the tumor site with greater precision.
Trilogy’s Smart Beam IMRT delivery differs from conventional IMRT as follows:
- Works with Trilogy’s dynamic targeting IGRT to plan a precise dose of radiation based on the location of the tumor in 3D at the moment of treatment, with real-time repositioning during treatment to adjust for movement as a result of breathing and other involuntary movement.
- Delivers radiation in sculpted dose distributions that match the exact 3D geometrical shape of the tumor, including concave and complex shapes, and adjusts the intensity of the radiation across the treatment area as needed with laser accuracy.
3D Conformal Radiation
Trilogy’s range of imaging modalities allows our radiation oncologists to image and reconstruct a tumor and surrounding tissue in three dimensions exactly to the contour of the treatment area. Radiation beams from several directions match the tumor’s unique dimensions in height, width and depth, while helping to spare nearby healthy tissue. As a result, higher doses of radiation may be delivered because exposure to surrounding tissues and organs is minimized.
Stereotactic Radiosurgery is a nonsurgical, highly precise form of radiation therapy, most often used to treat cancers of the brain, as well as head and neck tumors and other types of cancer that require a high degree of precision. The Trilogy system features an optical positioning system for greater accuracy and delivers a 20 percent higher dose, which can shorten stereotactic treatment times by up to 75 percent.
Fractionated Stereotactic Radiation Therapy
Fractionated Stereotactic Radiation Therapy is a form of Stereotactic Radiosurgery in which treatment is administered in several smaller doses of radiation, often over a series of days. The Trilogy system also speeds delivery and accuracy of Fractionated Stereotactic Radiation Therapy.
- Accelerated Partial Breast Irradiation (APBI)
- Brachytherapy (see High-Dose Rate (HDR) Brachytherapy )
- BrainLAB Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS)
- Calypso® 4D Localization System™/GPS for the Body®
- 3D Conformal Radiation
- Contura™ Multi-Lumen Balloon
- CyberKnife® VSI™ Robotic Radiosurgery System
- Deep Tissue Hyperthermia
- External Beam Radiation Therapy (EBRT)
- High-Dose Rate (HDR) Brachytherapy
- Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
- Intraoperative Radiation Therapy (IORT)
- Intraoperative Ultrasound
- Large Bore CT/RT with Simulation
- Local Hyperthermia
- MammoSite® RTS
- Radiation Therapy
- Radioactive Protectants
- Radioiodine Ablation (see Systemic Radiation Therapy)
- Radiology Information System: All digital, paperless environment and voice recognition diction
- Respiratory Gating
- Robotic Radiosurgery (see CyberKnife® VSI™ Robotic Radiosurgery System)
- Siemens / GE Multi-Modality Workstation
- Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT)
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS) / Stereotactic Radiation Therapy (SRT)
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery in conjunction with Calypso®
- TomoTherapy® HI-ART
- Total Body Irradiation (TBI)
- Total Marrow Irradiation (TMI)
- Varian Linear Accelerator with SRS, Respiratory Gating, RapidArc® and SBRT
- Varian Linear Accelerator iX with RapidArc®
- Varian Linear Accelerator Trilogy™ with RapidArc®
- Varian® Linear Accelerator TrueBeam®