External Beam Radiation Therapy (EBRT)
Learn More About External Beam Radiation: Chat with Us | Email Us
External beam radiation therapy (EBRT) is a type of radiation therapy that directs a beam of radiation from outside your body at cancerous tissues within your body. EBRT delivers high-energy rays to tumors, using a special X-ray machine called a linear accelerator. This machine allows radiation to be delivered from any angle and shapes radiation beams to the contour of the tumor.
Advantages of External Beam Radiation Therapy
Thanks to significant advancements in computer hardware and software, radiation treatment, planning and delivery have changed dramatically in recent years.
Our state-of-the-art radiation technology enables our oncologists to more accurately target a tumor with higher doses of radiation, while minimizing damage to your healthy tissue and nearby organs. As a result, EBRT helps to lower the risk of side effects typically associated with radiation treatment.
Some additional advantages of EBRT include:
- It’s a fast, painless outpatient procedure. A typical radiation treatment lasts a few minutes. It is administered over a period of six to eight weeks, typically five days a week.
- It does not carry the standard risks or complications of surgery, such as surgical bleeding, post-operative pain, or the risk of stroke, heart attack or blood clot.
- Unlike chemotherapy, which circulates through the body, ERBT is targeted to the area being treated.
- Accelerated Partial Breast Irradiation (APBI)
- Brachytherapy (see High-Dose Rate (HDR) Brachytherapy )
- BrainLAB Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS)
- Calypso® 4D Localization System™/GPS for the Body®
- 3D Conformal Radiation
- Contura™ Multi-Lumen Balloon
- CyberKnife® VSI™ Robotic Radiosurgery System
- Deep Tissue Hyperthermia
- External Beam Radiation Therapy (EBRT)
- High-Dose Rate (HDR) Brachytherapy
- Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
- Intraoperative Radiation Therapy (IORT)
- Intraoperative Ultrasound
- Large Bore CT/RT with Simulation
- Local Hyperthermia
- MammoSite® RTS
- Radiation Therapy
- Radioactive Protectants
- Radioiodine Ablation (see Systemic Radiation Therapy)
- Radiology Information System: All digital, paperless environment and voice recognition diction
- Respiratory Gating
- Robotic Radiosurgery (see CyberKnife® VSI™ Robotic Radiosurgery System)
- Siemens / GE Multi-Modality Workstation
- Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT)
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS) / Stereotactic Radiation Therapy (SRT)
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery in conjunction with Calypso®
- TomoTherapy® HI-ART
- Total Body Irradiation (TBI)
- Total Marrow Irradiation (TMI)
- Varian Linear Accelerator with SRS, Respiratory Gating, RapidArc® and SBRT
- Varian Linear Accelerator iX with RapidArc®
- Varian Linear Accelerator Trilogy™ with RapidArc®
- Varian® Linear Accelerator TrueBeam®