Learn More About Contura: Chat with Us | Email Us
A type of accelerated partial breast irradiation (APBI), this innovative form of breast brachytherapy helps to destroy cancerous cells left behind after a lumpectomy, while sparing the surrounding healthy breast tissue.
With Contura, our oncologists use a small balloon-like catheter to administer a targeted radiation dosage directly to the area where a breast tumor has been surgically removed, which is where tumors are most likely to recur.
The catheter is guided into the space left where the tumor was removed (lumpectomy cavity), and the balloon is inflated until it conforms to the shape of the cavity. A tiny radioactive seed is then inserted into the inflated balloon to deliver a precise dose of radiation treatment.
Advantages of Contura
Treatment is given on an outpatient basis.
Radiation is delivered from within the cavity, helping to minimize damage to healthy surrounding breast tissue.
Highly focused radiation reduces treatment time to days instead of weeks with standard radiation therapy.
- Accelerated Partial Breast Irradiation (APBI)
- Brachytherapy (see High-Dose Rate (HDR) Brachytherapy )
- BrainLAB Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS)
- Calypso® 4D Localization System™/GPS for the Body®
- 3D Conformal Radiation
- Contura™ Multi-Lumen Balloon
- CyberKnife® VSI™ Robotic Radiosurgery System
- Deep Tissue Hyperthermia
- External Beam Radiation Therapy (EBRT)
- High-Dose Rate (HDR) Brachytherapy
- Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
- Intraoperative Radiation Therapy (IORT)
- Intraoperative Ultrasound
- Large Bore CT/RT with Simulation
- Local Hyperthermia
- MammoSite® RTS
- Radiation Therapy
- Radioactive Protectants
- Radioiodine Ablation (see Systemic Radiation Therapy)
- Radiology Information System: All digital, paperless environment and voice recognition diction
- Respiratory Gating
- Robotic Radiosurgery (see CyberKnife® VSI™ Robotic Radiosurgery System)
- Siemens / GE Multi-Modality Workstation
- Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT)
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS) / Stereotactic Radiation Therapy (SRT)
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery in conjunction with Calypso®
- TomoTherapy® HI-ART
- Total Body Irradiation (TBI)
- Total Marrow Irradiation (TMI)
- Varian Linear Accelerator with SRS, Respiratory Gating, RapidArc® and SBRT
- Varian Linear Accelerator iX with RapidArc®
- Varian Linear Accelerator Trilogy™ with RapidArc®
- Varian® Linear Accelerator TrueBeam®