Learn More About Intrathecal Chemotherapy: Chat with Us | Email Us
Typically, chemotherapy drugs do not pass through the blood-brain barrier. This chemotherapy technique delivers chemotherapy drugs directly into the cerebrospinal fluid surrounding the brain and spinal cord to target cancer cells that have spread there.
Intrathecal chemotherapy is delivered through a lumbar puncture (spinal tap) or a device placed under the scalp. Patients typically need to lay flat after the treatment to allow the chemotherapy to reach all areas of the spinal cord and brain. We offer a variety of supportive therapies to help make our patients comfortable during this time, including relaxation therapies from mind-body medicine and acupuncture.
- Continuous Infusion Chemotherapy
- Fractionated-Dose Chemotherapy (see Metronomic Chemotherapy)
- Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC)
- Intra-Arterial Chemotherapy (IAC)
- Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (IPC)
- Intrathecal Chemotherapy
- Intratumoral Chemotherapy
- Intravenous Chemotherapy
- Maintenance Chemotherapy
- Metronomic Chemotherapy