Breast Cancer Trilogy™ Radiation Therapy & Treatment
Learn More About Trilogy for Breast Cancer: Chat with Us | Email Us
Trilogy™ Therapy for Breast Cancer
The Varian Trilogy™ radiation therapy system offers capabilities for providing intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT), image guided radiation therapy (IGRT), stereotactic radiosurgery and fractionated stereotactic radiation therapy—all from one machine.
With Trilogy, CTCA radiation oncologists can deliver sculpted radiation beams to breast tumors, while protecting the surrounding healthy breast tissue and minimizing your time on the treatment table.
This technology’s real-time imaging gives us up-to-the-second diagnostic data so we can (1) monitor tumor motion during your breast cancer radiation therapy, (2) provide high doses of extremely targeted radiation therapy and (3) avoid harm to healthy tissues that surround breast tumors.
In addition, Trilogy includes respiratory gating capabilities, which enables us to deliver optimal doses of radiation to breast tumors with utmost accuracy. The Trilogy treatment system senses and accounts for motion as you breathe in and out, helping us to target the breast tumor and protect organs that are close to the breasts, including your heart, from receiving unnecessary radiation.
Advantages of Trilogy Radiation Therapy
- RapidArc™ technology delivers breast radiation therapy using focused, sculpted beams of radiation to the breast tumor while helping to protect the adjacent healthy breast tissue.
- IMRT is used to modulate the radiation beam to different levels of intensity, contouring the radiation beam to the shape of the breast tumor.
- The Trilogy treatment technology allows us to deliver a 20 percent higher dose, which can shorten stereotactic treatment times by up to 75 percent.
- IGRT enables us to gate the radiation to a moving target, which can allow for accurate radiation treatment for tumors that move as you breathe.
- The technology allows us to administer breast cancer radiation therapy faster than some other radiation therapy systems, which minimizes your time on the treatment room table.
Next Topic: Targeted Drug Therapy for Breast Cancer