What is pain management?
Managing pain is a priority during cancer treatment. Our experienced Pain Management team cares for you throughout your treatment to ensure that you are comfortable. We use a variety of modalities to treat and control pain, including:
- Prescription medications
- Implanted pain pumps
- Nerve block therapies
- Physical therapy
- Acupuncture and auriculotherapy
- Massage therapy
- Relaxation techniques and guided imagery
- Chiropractic treatment
Integrated approach to pain control
Our pain management team is fully integrated with your oncologist and other members of your team. In addition to medication, your pain management regimen may include one or more of our integrative oncology services:
- Naturopathic medicine uses natural therapies to help you combat pain, as well as reduce the hormonal side effects that may accompany cancer treatment.
- Oncology rehabilitation plays a key role in pain management by using a variety of physical therapy and other techniques to improve mobility and trigger the release of endorphins, which are the immune system’s natural defense against pain.
- The mind-body medicine team is available to teach you relaxation tools to help you manage pain, and to reduce the anxiety and fatigue related to cancer or cancer treatment.
For patients staying at the hospital, “Comfort Rounds” are conducted twice weekly. During these visits, pain management practitioners thoroughly evaluate your current pain level and how your current treatment approach is working, and make any necessary modifications to your treatment plan.
Video: Pain ManagementDr. Mark Axness briefly discusses the individualized pain management cancer patients receive at Cancer Treatment Centers of America.
Pain management for brain cancer
Pain associated with brain cancer is generally related to the tumor size and location. Since there are many different tumors that can form in the brain, pain varies for each individual. Neuropathic pain is common for brain cancer patients.
Throughout your treatment, the pain management team is on call 24/7 to help you anticipate and proactively manage cancer-related pain.
We'll ensure you are comfortable and continually receiving the pain relief you need. We will also troubleshoot any side effects of pain medication, such as nausea, drowsiness and constipation. The goal is to find a balance between controlling pain and preserving quality of life.
Your care team collaborates to control your pain
Our pain management team is fully integrated with the other disciplines offered at the hospital to help control pain:
- Naturopathic medicine: We use natural therapies, including amino acids, fish oil, herbs and vitamin complexes to repair nerve damage and reduce neuropathic pain.
- Acupuncture: We use thin needles applied to specific areas of the body (acupoints) to stimulate energy flow and relieve pain.
- Oncology rehabilitation: We use physical and occupational therapies and massage to increase strength, improve mobility and reduce pain.
- Mind-body medicine: We use counseling and relaxation techniques to alleviate symptoms contributing to pain, such as depression or anxiety.