Bile Duct Cancer Radiation Therapy & Treatment
Learn More About Bile Duct Cancer Radiation Therapy: Chat with Us | Email Us
Radiation Therapy for Bile Duct Cancer
At Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA), we use radiation therapy to kill cancer cells and shrink tumors, and to provide relief from some cancer-related symptoms such as pain. Radiation treatments may come from a machine outside the body (external beam radiation therapy), or it may come from radioactive material placed in the body near cancer cells (internal radiation therapy).
Our radiation oncologists use new and innovative radiation techniques to accurately deliver high radiation doses to cancer cells, while minimizing damage to healthy surrounding tissue.
At CTCA, some of the advanced radiation treatments for bile duct cancer include:
- External Beam Radiation Therapy (EBRT): High doses of radiation are delivered to the cancerous cells inside the bile ducts from outside the body, using a variety of machine-based technologies.
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT): This type of bile duct cancer radiation therapy uses a powerful, advanced computer program to deliver a precise dose of radiation directly to the tumor.
- Intraoperative Radiation Therapy (IORT): This innovative radiation treatment option allows some bile duct cancer patients to receive a single, powerful dose of radiation during surgery.
- TomoTherapy® HI-ART: An advanced form of IMRT that delivers precise and powerful doses of radiation therapy from 360 degrees, and may be a treatment option for patients who have reached their maximum tolerance dose of traditional radiation.
- TheraSphere®: This type of internal cancer radiation therapy that involves delivering radiation directly to tumors using tiny glass beads called microspheres.
Radiation treatments may be used alone for bile duct cancer treatment, or it may be combined with surgery or chemotherapy. Based on diagnostic tests and your cancer profile, we will work with you to determine which treatment or combination of treatments is appropriate for you.