Chief Operating Officer
Cancer Treatment Centers of America
Areas of Expertise
- CTCA’s Mother Standard® of Care
- Patient Empowerment MedicineSM
- Lean Thinking
- CTCA’s Mission, Vision and Values
Steve Mackin is Chief Operating Officer of Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA). He was named to the position in April 2013, after 15 years of excellence in a wide range of positions throughout the organization.
Since taking over his current role, Mr. Mackin has overseen the largest hospital expansion and renovation project in CTCA history. This major capital improvement initiative invested $180 million over two years at four of CTCA’s five hospitals, allowing the organization to deliver the Mother Standard® of care to more patients throughout the country.
Prior to his appointment as Chief Operating Officer, Mr. Mackin held various executive positions at CTCA at Southwestern Regional Medical Center (Southwestern), including Interim President and CEO, Chief Operating Officer, Vice President of Ancillary Services and Assistant Vice President of Oncology Patient Services.
Under Mr. Mackin’s leadership at Southwestern, the hospital dramatically expanded its technology platform, implemented new services, increased its physician base and added 148 jobs in a four-year period to help better serve those who come first—patients. During his five years at the helm, from 2008 to 2013, Southwestern also:
- Experienced record patient satisfaction with an average Net Promoter Score of 98
- Was recognized as one of the “Best Places to Work in Oklahoma” by OKC Biz magazine in 2011 and 2012
- Was honored with the 2010 American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer Outstanding Achievement Award
- Launched a wide range of innovations, including a stem cell program, weekend services and a comprehensive overhaul of the Radiation Oncology and Imaging Services department
In addition to his role at Southwestern, Mr. Mackin served in various positions at other CTCA locations. He came to the organization right out of graduate school in 1998, joining the corporate office as CTCA’s first Management Fellow. Mr. Mackin earned a Master of Business Administration degree from the University of Tulsa in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and a Bachelor of Arts degree from Wabash College in Crawfordsville, Indiana.
Mr. Mackin also enjoys taking an active role in his community. He is a member of Leadership Tulsa Class 45 and the Young Presidents’ Organization. He served on the board for the United Way Foundation, the Tulsa Community College Foundation and Junior Achievement. He has also volunteered his time as the Executive Chair for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s Light the Night Walk as well as for Tulsa’s Future Committee with the Tulsa Metro Chamber.