Senior Vice President of Clinical Affairs & National Director of Medical Oncology
Medical Oncology with a concentration in Gynecologic Cancers
Education and Postdoctoral Training
Bachelor of Science, University of Southern California
Master of Sciences, Health Policy and Management, New York University Graduate School of Public Administration
New York University School of Medicine
Internship and Residency
Internal Medicine, Bellevue Hospital-New York University Medical Center
Chief Resident, Internal Medicine
Bellevue Hospital-New York University Medical Center
National Cancer Institute, Immunology Branch
Assistant in Oncology and Medicine
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Academic Honors & Awards
- Phi Beta Kappa, and Summa Cum Laude graduate, University of Southern California
- Louise and Allston Young Investigator Award, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
- The Lee and Jerome Burkons Research Chair in Oncology, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- 2008 Medical Honoree, Lynn Cohen Foundation for Ovarian Cancer Research
- Good Housekeeping Magazine "Best Cancer Specialists in the United States"
- Five-time honoree, "America’s Top Doctors for Cancer"
- Four-time honoree, " Best Doctors in America."
- Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Board Certified in Internal Medicine, Medical Oncology and Hematology
20+ years in gynecologic malignancy research with a focus on new drug development and novel management strategies.
- Assistant Adjunct Professor of Medicine, Division of Hemotology/Oncology, University of California/San Diego School of Medicine
- Assistant Professor of Medicine, Cornell University Medical College
- Vice Chairman, Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
- Chairman, Department of Hematology/Oncology, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- Director, The Cleveland Clinic Taussig Cancer Center
- Professor of Medicine, The Ohio State University
- Vice President, Clinical Research; Professor of Medicine and Chairman, Department of Gynecologic Medical Oncology, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Chair, Medical Oncology Committee, Gynecologic Oncology Group (a United States National Cancer Institute sponsored cooperative group)
- Society of Gynecologic Oncology
- National Cancer Institute
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- American Cancer Society
- Associate Leader, Gynecologic Oncology Disease Site Team, Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network
Primary author or co-author of more than 800 peer-reviewed manuscripts, reviews, book chapters, editorials or abstracts including:
Role of nutritional status in predicting quality of life outcomes in cancer - a systematic review of the epidemiological literature.
Involvement of bone in epithelial ovarian cancer: case report of an uncommon late metastatic event.
Perifosine plus docetaxel in patients with platinum and taxane resistant or refractory high-grade epithelial ovarian cancer.
Served on more than 35 editorial boards including:
- Journal of Clinical Oncology
- Journal of Gynecologic Oncology
- Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology – North American Editor
- Annals of Medicine
- The Lancet
In the News
Dr. Maurie Markman Receives Prestigious American Society of Clinical Oncology Statesman Award
Ovarian Cancer Awareness: What to ask your doctor
Dr. Maurie Markman Oncology Video Series on OncLive TV